My company has two LDAP environments in use.  One LDAP environment is used to
authenticate users.  The second LDAP environment is used to retrieve role
information.  I have already configured my first login module to authenticate a
user (I'm using LdapExtLoginModule).  However, I'm not sure how to configure
the second login module to retrieve role information from the second LDAP
environment.  I'm using form authentication.

Normally, I believe this would be fairly easy to use.  However, the second LDAP
environment that I need to access the role information is a bit unusual (at
least in my opinion - however, I'm a newbie, so I may be wrong in my
assessment).  Normally, one would provide the username and then perform a role
search based on that username.  However, the second LDAP environment actually
stores role information based on another attribute - a user ID number.  This
attribute is stored as an attribute on the first LDAP environment.  However,
how can one retrieve this user ID number attribute from the first LDAP
environment and pass it to the next stacked login module (the second LDAP
environment) for use in the search for roles.

To make this a little more concrete, I have an example of what I want to happen:

The user would login with a username and password on a web page.  The
LdapExtLoginModule would retrieve the username and password information, pass
it to my first LDAP environment for binding, checking for the username/password
combination.  After the user is authenticated (if the username/password
combination checks out), I would like to retrieve an attribute (user ID number)
for that user.  This user ID number would be passed to the second LDAP
environment to be used in the search for user roles.

Thus the user ID number is passed to the second LDAP environment and somehow
used in a search.  The second LDAP environment's schema is similar to the
following (here's an example):

cn=role
userIDnum=1234,2345,3456

So in this case, a group "role" has member 1234, 2345, and 3456.  Thus, I have
three users that have user ID numbers 1234, 2345, and 3456.  There could be
another role:

cn=role2
userIDNum=1234

In this case, we have another role but only a user with a user ID number of
1234 is a member of this role.  Unfortunately, this schema in the second LDAP
environment does not use usernames, but user ID numbers instead to identify the
members of this role...

With this situation, is it possible to stack the JBoss login modules to
authenticate the user and retrieve role information for a user?  Or do I have
to write a custom login module to accomplish this?  If so, how should I write
the login module - e.g. extending an existing login module, etc.?  I would
really appreciate the help.  Thanks!

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3973482#3973482

Reply to the post :