We are using JBPM v4 for a pilot at one of our institute labs.
Since it's a pilot, we are not creating a separate UI to access the TaskService
etc. We are instead leveraging the taskforms capability and using FTL templates
for forms at different points in the workflow.

One issue that we have run into is that if we have a form associated with the
start activity, then none of the form params ( posted via HTTP when the
workflow is started through the console) are being persisted into the JBPM4_VAR
table till we introduce a halt in the workflow via a task associated with a
user/group.

Net effect of this seems to be that if you try to reference any of the form
params before this task in the workflow, we get nulls.

After the task (any task with a halt), the form params become available as
process instance variables and can be used in the workflow..

Is this an issue that others have run into? Or maybe we are doing something
wrong?

Here's the jpd.xml snippet..

This works ..(note the halt we introduce via a manager_approval before we try
to reference the hr_subcategory form variable in the is_lab_approval_needed
decision activity).
Trying to directly go from start to is_lab_approval_activity fails since
hr_subcategory is resolved to null (we get a NPE).

Also, one more quick question - we noticed that the JBPM4_HIST_VAR table never
gets populated. The JBPM4_VAR table stores the process variables only as long
as the process is active..If we dont want to create our own audit repo and
leverage what JBPM4 provides out of the box, where do we see the process
variables (we need some of these for an audit trail)?

Regards,
Lalit

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

        <event-listener class="gtri.jbpm.pilot.LogListener">

        </event-listener>

                <event-listener class="gtri.jbpm.pilot.LogListener">

                </event-listener>

                <event-listener class="gtri.jbpm.pilot.LogListener">

                </event-listener>

          <task candidate-users="peter,mary"
form="gtri/jbpm/pilot/demo/manager_approval.ftl" g="163,10,131,40"
name="manager_approval">

                <event-listener class="gtri.jbpm.pilot.LogListener">

                </event-listener>

                <event-listener class="gtri.jbpm.pilot.LogListener">

                </event-listener>

                <condition expr="#{(hr_subcategory=='newhire') ||
(hr_subcategory=='newconst') || (hr_subcategory=='badge') }"/>

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4247661#4247661

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4247661