Hi there,

The user guide/documentation doesn't clearly say in what scenario the
configuration option lockParentForChildInsertRemove should be set to true.  My
assumption is jbosscache is thread safe by default.  And, with mvcc (which is
what we are using), reads dont acquire a lock anyway.  So if I set this config
value to false, what kind of "incorrectness" are we looking at?  In the app
that I am working on, the parent node is just a collection of similar objects,
a logical grouping so to speak.  It doesn't hold any state information (like
info about number of nodes etc).

We have a setup that uses jboss cache 3.1.  The cache participates in
transactions.    Since multiple threads do reads and writes on this cache all
the time, and some of the threads do some intense operations that take a  long
time before the transaction commits or rolls back (sometimes up to a minute or
more, and our lock acquisition timeout is set to 20 seconds), we see a lot of
lock acquire timeouts in other threads.  I don't want to bump up the timeout
just for this.   I am considering turning lockParentForChildInsertRemove option
to false, but I was just wondering if I am trivializing the effect of this
change.

Any input/clarifications are appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4266200#4266200

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4266200