User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "5.1.0.GA considerably slower than
4.0.3RC2! Up to 200%":

http://community.jboss.org/message/526424#526424

Author  : Emil Nilimaa
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/Eminil

Message:
> peterj wrote:
>
> What timings do you get if you move the currentTimeMillis to inside the
> testJBossSpeed method (I'm trying to eliminate any possible AOP processing)?
>
> The testJBossSpeedis creating 1 million String objects, all of which end up
> being garbage. The only things I can think of regarding JBoss AS doing
> anything here are: a) some AOP config is wrapped around the String class, b)
> something is hooked into garbage collection.
>
> Oh, there is one more possibility - heap usage. If 5.1.0 uses significantly
> more heap than 4.0.3, and both app servers are set to that same heap size,
> then 5.1.0 will encounter more garbage collections. You can run with
> -verbose:gc to determine if this is the case.
The same timings apply even if we put everything inside the method.

Will try the verbose option and see what happens...