Esteban Aliverti [http://community.jboss.org/people/eaa] created the discussion

"Re: Dynamic parallel executions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/605212#605212

AFAIK, the max thread number configuration is related to KnowledgeBase
partitioning and it has nothing to do with jBPM. jBPM 5 always uses a single
execution thread (unless you are using timers). When the execution reaches a
diverge gteway, or a multiple instance node, one of the paths is selected and
executed to its end. After the path is completed (and if the process is not yet
completed), the second path is selected, and so on.

This behavior has some implications. Think for example in this scnenario:

http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-605212-16392/Selection_034.png

http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-605212-16392/450-201/Selection_034.png

Even when you have a parallel diverge gateway, only one of the tasks is going
to be executed (and you don't know which one!!). The thing is that I'm using an
XOR converge gateway, so when the first task is completed (let say Task B), the
gateway will continue the execution to the end node. So, in this case, Task A
will not be executed. If we were using multi-threading, both Tasks will start,
but strange things will happen if the process ends but one of the path is still
running (I'm using just one task in each path, but things could be much more
complicated) .