Dan Allen [https://community.jboss.org/people/dan.j.allen] created the
discussion

"Re: How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/739458#739458

I think I've narrowed down the issue. I don't know how to solve it yet, but I
at least know the precise circumstances that cause the problem.

First, I ruled out any issue with the JBoss Tools install or a discrepancy with
what the Fedora package installs by working with a zip download from jboss.org.
I extracted the zip file, setup a new runtime and server, started it and
successfully deployed the helloworld application. So that works as expected.

My suspicion is that the problem occurs when JBoss Tools can't write to the
JBoss AS installation. To prove this, I followed these steps:

*  I changed the ownership of the entire JBoss AS installation to root (both
user and group permission)
* I created a management user (admin / admin123) and verified I could use
jboss-cli -c as non-root to connect to it
* I started the server as the root user
* I setup a new runtime and server for this installation, marked it as
externally managed and set the management user to admin / admin123
* I configured the server to use a custom deploy folder (both deployments and
tmp) that are owned by my user (i.e., not owned by root)
* I started the server in JBoss Tools, effectively connecting to the server,
and verified that the deployment scanner was updated to scan the custom deploy
folder
* I attempted to deploy the helloworld application by dragging the project
folder to the server

Once again, the deployment failed. It created the directories in the custom
deploy folder, but reported the same error as above when attempting to write
the files.

My hypothesis is that the error message we are seeing is a veil. It's possible
the failure is coming from an operation further up the chain. From changing the
ownership of the installation to root, it's pretty clear that JBoss Tools is
attempting to write something into the installation directory when it shouldn't
be.

So, the problem isn't that JBoss Tools is trying to put the files in the wrong
place. The problem is that it's trying to perform a write operation in the
installation sometime between when it creates the directories and when it moves
the files into them. It may have something to do with the manifest file, though
that's just a stab in the dark.

You should be able to reproduce this on OSX since it's also a *nix operation
system (though I suppose Windows also has file permission controls).

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]