Ed SAURUSAITIS [https://community.jboss.org/people/fishing69] created the
discussion

"Re: JBPM 5.4 - Transaction Problems with completeWorkitem() when an EJB
Exception occurs"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/831992#831992

The issue turned out to be that the EJB attempted to use the same transaction
as used by JBPM Workitem Handler. This not the behavior I was expecting. I
needed to EJB to have its own transaction. I accomplished this by starting a
new transaction within the EJB. I added an annotation
(@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.++REQUIRES_NEW++)) to
accomplish this. Now the Workitem handler catches the exceptions without
rolling back the JBPM transaction.

Ed