I'd like to know your thoughts: what has driven you to propose this idea?

I'm not sure I would use this in preference...in addition, possibly.

I can see that it would make quick hacks easier and would be very useful for
situations that only affect a single-page.

I can see some disadvantages: harder to 'grok' the flows in the app without
looking at all the views; not so good for (postulated, future) tool
support...the flow/actions of an app would be all over the place, rather than
in one place (ok...a few places: faces-config/pages/jpbm config files...but
these do gather flows up); harder to configure global aspects (ie using
pages.xml to check for whether a user is logged in or not before allowing
access to sensitive sections of a web app....it would not be as nice to have to
guard every page individually). Seems to me that this is what drove the
development/introduction of the front-controller idea in the first place?

ahhh...I seem to have heard all this in the Java Annotations vs. XML config
files wars of yore.

Just my AU$0.02...

Cheers,

Alph.