I have my server/default/conf/log4j.xml file configured to email me (via the
SMTPAppender) if an error occurs in the server. This usually works just fine
and I get appropriate errors. However, during routine vulnerability security
scans from my cooperate IT department, I get spammed with thousands of emails
caused by the errors the scan generates.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or a more elegant solution other than
just turning off the log4j during the scan? Specifically, I'm interested in an
intelligent appender which would would not log errors generated by requests
from specific IPs. Of course, the log4j appender API doesn't have access to
this type of HTTP information, so I imagine that I would have to store the
request IP in a ThreadLocal, but I'm not sure where the best place to do this
(maybe a Tomcat valve?)

Any help is appreciated

JBoss 4.0.3

View the original post :