I was hoping that there was some configuration I could set so that if an
invocation took more than a certain amount of time it would automatically throw
an exception. It sounds as if you are saying there is not such configuration
and offer a couple of alternatives.

One alternative is to create a thread in an interceptor and have the work done
in that new thread. The interceptor could wait on that thread with a timeout
and throw and excpetion if the thread does not return in time. I can see how
that would work, but it would double the number of threads in our system, which
worries me.

The other alternative is to program with futures. I am not quite clear how to
do this, but I suspect it is an approach we would not want. We like the api to
be synchronous from the client point of view. Also, the api is quite large, so
I suspect there would be a lrage number of changes to make this work.

Could you say if I am reading your responses correctly? I appreciate your help.
Unfortunately, I am not sure that either of these approaches are ones we want
to take.

Thanks,

Harold

View the original post :