My entity bean has session scope:

@Table(name="FBCLIENT",schema="DB2ADMIN")
  | @Name("client")
  | @Scope(ScopeType.SESSION)
  | public class ClientVO implements Serializable
  | {
  |     private static final long serialVersionUID = 2285612284592204149L;
  |
  |     private Long id;
  |     private String notes;
  |     private String clientType;
  |     private String memberNumber;
  |     private Set<ClientLocationVO> entityLocations = new
HashSet<ClientLocationVO>();
  |     private Set<PolicyVO> policies = new HashSet<PolicyVO>();
  |     private String search;
  |     private DrivingDistance drivingDistance;
  |     private String homePhone;
  |     private String workPhone;
  |     private String cellPhone;
  |     private String pagerNo;
  |     private String email;
  |     private ClientVO parentClient;
  |     private List<ClientVO> clientMembers=new ArrayList<ClientVO>();
  |
  |     /**
  |      * @return the childMembers
  |      */
  |

  |     @OneToMany(mappedBy="parentClient",fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
  |     public List<ClientVO> getClientMembers() {
  |             return clientMembers;
  |     }
  |
  |     /**
  |      * @return the parentClient
  |      */
  |
  |     @ManyToOne()
  |     @JoinColumn (name="parentclientid" )
  |     public ClientVO getParentClient() {
  |             return parentClient;
  |     }

When I perform the search I do not use a conversation, just a stateless session
bean:

@Stateless
  | @Name("search")
  | public class SearchAction implements Search
  | {
  |     @In Identity identity;
  |
  |     @In private SearchVO searchvo;
  |     @In(create=true) private ClientService clientService;
  |     @In(create=true) private PolicyService policyService;
  |

  |     @In(required=false)
  |     private FBWorker worker;
  |
  |     @Out(required=false)  private PolicyVO policy;
  |     public String performNameSearch()
  |     {
  |
  |                     searchResults =
policyService.findPolicyHoldersByNameIncludeSubclients(searchvo.getSearchString());

  |             searchvo.setSearchResults(searchResults);
  |             return "success";
  |     }

When the user clicks the row in the datatable I then try and load the entire
object by calling the lookupClientFromSearch method on my ClientAction stateful
bean. :

<h:commandLink value="#{searchResult.clientVO.fullName}"
action="#{clientAction.lookupClientFromSearch}"/>

Inside the lookupclientFromSearch I am using a conversation:
@Stateful
  | @Name("clientAction")
  | public class ClientActionImpl implements ClientAction
  | {
  |     @In(create=true) private ClientService clientService;
  |     @In(required=false) @Out(required=false) ClientVO client;
  |     @In  @Out(required=false) PolicyVO policy;
  |     @In(required=false) ClientVO subClient;
  |     @In(required=false) MasterSearchResultVO searchResult;
  |
  |                @Begin(join=true)
  |     public String lookupClientFromSearch() {

client=clientService.findClientByIdFetchGraph(searchResult.getClientVO().getId());

  |             if (client instanceof PersonVO)
  |             {
  |                     organizationFlag=false;
  |                     personFlag=true;
  |                     System.out.println("The Client is a PersonVO");
  |
  | policy.getPolicyHolder();
  |             }
  |             else if (client instanceof OrganizationVO)
  |             {
  |                     organizationFlag=true;
  |                     personFlag=false;
  |                     System.out.println("The Client is a PersonVO");
  |             }
  |             else
  |             {
  |                     System.out.println("The Client is a only a ClientVO");
  |             }
  |
  |             return "success";
  |     }
  |     @End