I use multiple end-states, and it works.

As outlined in "Node responsibilities" in userguide, only the node action can
decide on which transition to take. In event action, you cannot take this
decision.

        <node name="check-suspend-or-abort">
  |             <action class="com.qq.DecideIfSuspendedOrAbortedAction" />
  |             <transition to="continue" />
  |             <transition to="error" name="error"/>
  |             <transition to="suspended" name="suspended"/>
  |             <transition to="aborted" name="aborted"/>
  |     </node>
  |
  |     <end-state name="aborted">
  |     </end-state>
  |
  |     <end-state name="suspended">
  |     </end-state>
  |
  |     <end-state name="error">
  |     </end-state>

Here's the action:

        public void execute(ExecutionContext ctx) throws Exception {
  |             Map params = ctx.getContextInstance().getVariables();
  |
  |             // check if aborted - invoke my function
  |             if (isAbortedFlagForWorkflow()) {
  |                     // do something
  |                     ctx.getToken().signal("aborted");
  |             } else
  |                     // check if suspended
  |             if (isSuspendedFlagForWorkflow()) {
  |                     // do something
  |                     ctx.getToken().signal("suspended");
  |             } else {
  |                     // everything is OK, we may start the workflow
  |                     // leave over default transition
  |                     ctx.getToken().signal();
  |             }
  |     }