agreed, the solution is ugly: It simply smears the whole classpath into one
huge ugly beast. At least it works and if you don't have any code at all in
your web-app, I'm pretty sure you can get away with it.

Anyway, the problem is fundamental: Almost every more complex component makes
specific demands on your Datastructures. Seam suggests a deployment model where
you have all of your code, be it backing-beans (ejb or not-ejb) or models in
one huge ejb-jar. I actually find this model rather compelling: The
layering-approach, that scatters your code over several projects almost always
leaves you with questions like "Where shall I put this thing?!" and normally
ends up with anaemic and not-object-oriented models. I think, seam is a step
into the right direction and gives you back some object-powers that where
previously hidden under the J2EE-Patterns-Catalog.

If you really want to be clean and have a UI-agnostic app, you should try to
build an adapter for these Component-Datastructures: There is nothing that
prevents you from putting your Backing-Beans into the web-layer and have them
access normal beans in the ejb-layer: Your backing bean transforms your
(UI-agnostic) datastructures into UI-specific structures. This way, your
ejb-jar stays free of UI-related classes, the need to reference the
richfaces-*.jar vanishes, you can keep your classpath clean:

But then you have another class at another place to maintain: That's the reason
why I went with the classpath-hack - it was the most simple thing to do given
our requirements.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4065303#4065303

Reply to the post :