On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Peter Routtier-Wone wrote:

> > Someone from this discussion group indicate that container might cache the
> > PreparedStatement.
>
> I can't speak with authority on this, but that rings true. I'm guessing that
> interception doesn't happen for the setEntityContext() method and therefore
> you actually create a PreparedStatement rather than receiving one from the
> pool.
>
> > Just for kicks, I gave it a try but transactions weren't completed and
> > they'd just hang out there forever, blocking every other persistence and
> > finder method until they timed out.
>
> That would bollox lifecycle management, and the described behaviour wouldn't
> be at all surprising.
This is also a common bean bug: 'close()' should be called on every
resultset, statement, and connection in a finally clause so that you know
it happens every time.

> On the other hand, I'd have thought that PreparedStatements would be far
> less costly to manufacture than Connections, and therefore not worth the
> overhead of managing a pool. I think I'll poke my nose into the source and
> see what's there.
There's often communication with the database to create the
PreparedStatement. That way it can pre-compile a query plan. There is a
prepared statement cache in JBoss: in JBoss 2.0, it caused problems with
Oracle's cursor limit (fixed in 2.1).

Dan Christopherson (danch)
nVisia Technical Architect (www.nvisia.com)

Opinions expressed are mine and do not neccessarily reflect any
position or opinion of nVISIA.