> one of my CMP fields is a byte[] that can get quite large
> JAWS creates a table with this field mapped onto a BLOB type.
>
> When I try to create the entity if the byte[] contains several k's
> of data I get the following exception.
>

> [docSession] javax.ejb.CreateException:
> Could not create entity:java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01461: can bind a LONG
> value only for insert into a LONG column

Edit the table and change the column type to LONGVARBINARY and it should
work.

With the advent of JDBC 3, soon to be released as part of JDK1.4 aka Merlin,
this should cease to be an issue, however Oracle is less than famous for the
speed with which it responds to JDK spec changes and it may be quite a while
before an Oracle JDBC 3 driver is available.

For those who do not know much about LOB data (BLOB, CLOB etc) versus LONG
data (LONGVARBINARY, LONGVARCHAR etc) under Oracle, I am thinking of putting
a short whitepaper about this on my webserver.

Give me some feedback on the level of interest, as this will not be a
trivial effort.