I don't think of an interface as a "pattern specifically about the publicly
available views/facets of an object". You can define interfaces that are
visible only from the package, and in fact, this is a feature that I use
often in my designs. In my opinion, interfaces are a means for
specification: they state what you have to implement if you want to be
coherent with your designs. That is something that applies as well for what
you intend for the general public as for what you intend for your
application's internals.

In EJB, I see the home and remote interfaces for a specification as well:
they state what features you want the container/application server to
exhibit from a specification you give and partially implement. I the case of
ejb-references, you could want to make calls on remote objects that you
wouldn't want others to see.

But if I'd like to have something like this in j2ee, it's probably due to
the fact that I'm a beginner in using those tools ;-)

regards,

candide

> There is no way to define anything but public method in any interface.
This