I am experiencing a problem whereby there is a build-up of INACTIVE
connections to our Oracle database. If I drive the system for approx. twenty
minutes with ten concurrent users then we get an ORA-00020 error (max
processes exceeded). The Oracle process limit is set to 200.

We are running JBoss 2.0 FINAL on a Solaris 2.6 platform.

Our system consists of about 15 EJBs packaged into a single jar file. The
EJBs all use the same datasource configured as follows:

jboss.conf
----------
<MLET CODE="org.jboss.jdbc.XADataSourceLoader"
ARCHIVE="jboss.jar,oracle12.jar" CODEBASE="../../lib/ext/">
    <ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="jdbc/MyDataSource">
    <ARG TYPE="java.lang.String"
VALUE="org.jboss.minerva.xa.XADataSourceImpl">
</MLET>

jboss.jcml
----------
     <mbean
name="DefaultDomain:service=XADataSource,name=jdbc/MyDataSource">
       <attribute name="Properties"></attribute>
       <attribute name="URL">jdbc:oracle:thin:@myhost:1521:mydb</attribute>
       <attribute name="GCMinIdleTime">1200000</attribute>
       <attribute name="JDBCUser">myuser</attribute>
       <attribute name="MaxSize">0</attribute>
       <attribute name="Password">mypassword</attribute>
       <attribute name="GCEnabled">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="InvalidateOnError">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="TimestampUsed">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="Blocking">true</attribute>
       <attribute name="GCInterval">120000</attribute>
       <attribute name="IdleTimeout">1800000</attribute>
       <attribute name="IdleTimeoutEnabled">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="LoggingEnabled">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="MaxIdleTimeoutPercent">1.0</attribute>
       <attribute name="MinSize">0</attribute>
     </mbean>

The sessions are all shown as INACTIVE in Oracle's v$session table.

We have been very careful in our EJBs to include the closure of the
Connection in a finally block. I therefore feel it is unlikely to be a
'connection-leak' from within the application code.

What baffles me is why the JBoss connection pool does not reuse the INACTIVE
connections, instead prefering to create new ones. Does this suggest that
there is a problem with my configuration.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Richard.

---
Richard Conway ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
---
This message is confidential; its contents do not constitute a commitment by
The VEGA Group PLC except where provided for in a written agreement between
you and The VEGA Group PLC. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or
dissemination, either whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately.