You don't compile a jar, he means if you compile the classes going into the
jar...

I find that when I accidentally compile some classes with jdk1.2.x, prep the
jar and then later recompile the client and classes with 1.3 I get this
message. It used to happen because I had a text editor set up for 1.2.2 but
the compiler on the path was 1.3, and I have a habit of wildcard compiling
whole directories. When a class compiled with 1.2.2 was already in the jar
but the one on the local path was rebuilt with 1.3 this would case the bad
magic number error presumably due to serialisation incompatibility.