Hi,

>From a practical standpoint, usually entity beans have 'individual field'
data access methods, and usually when you have a business process step,
more than one field is affected.  To get all the modifications in one
transaction without jumping through external transaction control hoops and
obviating the main reason you got an app server in the first place, put a
method that does all the changes at once in a session bean.  Automatically
( unless you mess with the transaction attributes of the methods)
everything is in one transaction.

>From an architectural standpoint, the entity beans pretty much represent a
data access layer, session beans expose a business process interface, the
flow control outside the ejb container a presentation manager, and what
actually makes the ui such as jsps a presentation layer.  Mixing up any of
these layers, such as exposing the data access interface to the
presentation manager layer, means _much_ more difficulty when it comes time
to extend or replace a layer.

Hope this helps

david jencks