The "gunzip" utility (usually actually implemented as a symlink) is the
decompressor for "gzip."  Although the compression schemes used by
"gzip/gunzip" and "zip/unzip" are compatible, the file formats are not.

The standard portable freeware "unzip/zip" tools from the Info-ZIP project
can be built on Unix/Linux and are usually available as precompiled
packages.  Debian, for example, offers the "zip" and "unzip" standard
packages (and the "zip-crypt" and "unzip-crypt" alternative packages with
encryption); as usual on a Debian system they can be installed with a
single command ("apt-get install zip" or "apt-get install unzip"):

        http://packages.debian.org/zip
        http://packages.debian.org/unzip
        http://packages.debian.org/zip-crypt
        http://packages.debian.org/unzip-crypt

Full information and source code is available:

        http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

The Info-ZIP tools are very high quality and emulate the behavior of
PKZIP, which is what Java uses for jar-style files.  The "zip/unzip" tools
supplied by IBM with OS/2, for example, are built from Info-ZIP source.

The JDK "jar" utility can used with "tar" syntax to decompress a
PKZIP-format file ("jar -xvf <filename>").

Note that PKZIP format is an inconvenient way to distribute things for
Unix/Linux, since ownership and permission information is lost.  Once the
files and directories have been extracted, ownership and permissions must
be configured manually by the system administrator for each file and
directory.  This process is often mostly done by trial and error.

-- Mike

On 2001-04-29 at 22:00 -0400, Jim Archer wrote:

> You don't have gunzip ???
>
> Jim
>
> --On Monday, April 30, 2001 9:46 AM +1000 Scott Warren
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > just a hunch - I am not a linux user. Try using the Jar util.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Scott Warren
> > Lead Internet Technologies Developer