Are you speaking of EmbeddedTomcat?  If so, in the contrib/tomcat
module, there is a RequestInterceptor called
org.jboss.tomcat.security.JbossRealm that will alleviate this problem.

It's difficult to explain in words, but if you study the use-case
diagrams on the JBoss website, it's easier to understand.  The basic
idea (I think) is that JAAS expects it's "client" to be in a separate
VM.  The code in the server login modules in JBoss that are responsible
for setting the principal that normally gets called during a "login"
never gets called when the client is in the same VM.  Study the diagrams
-- I found them infinitely understandable.

++jeff