Toby,

You're right.  I should have looked up the EJB 1.1 spec,
but I was lazy.  Since you called me on it, I looked
up the spec.

The person in the forum was correct.  The "throws
RemoteException" clause for certain methods are indeed
deprecated.  The methods instead require that EJBException
be thrown.  But since EJBException is a RuntimeExeption,
it doesn't need to be declared explicitly.  (See section
12.3.7.  It is also pointed out in sections 12.6, 6.10.3,
6.10.4, and 9.2.4-6.)

So my question now changes to:  Is the requirement
that is specified by JBoss 2.2.1 (I made a mistake
in regards to the version I'm running in my original
post) upon deployment a design decision or an oversight?

The reason this came up is that I am refactoring my
code to use the Details Object pattern as described
in the theserverside.com post I quoted.  I would like
to keep my details object as clean as possible by not
delcaring a 'throws RemoteException' clause if I don't
have to.

Thanx.

Norton