Hi,

Great job!

I've experienced the same problems with IB 6.01 on Debian Linux. There were
few differencies from your "how to":

> 1.
>
> Install Interbase from www.interbase.com. Unpack and run,
> there is no problem. Attention on the first gsec call.
> gsec -user SYSDBA -password changeme (different to windows,
> where the password is "masterkey")
>
> Create a database. See Doku.

Completely agreed. Also, if you have a Win32 box, you can use the IB Console
(comes with Win32 version of the IB 6.01) for performing these tasks.
However the InterBase 6.01 worked bad during tests (my database appeared
corrupted after lots of remove() invocations on remote party of CMP entity
bean). I switched to Firebird 0.9.4p1 and everything was fine.

> Second problem: the interserver from from Borland will not
> run on Suse Linux 7.0 because a libary is missing. No way there.
> Solution: Take interserver from firebird. How to get sources
> from this ? Read http://firebird.sourceforge.net.

Same on Debian. interserver is executed only when the connection is
established to the port 3060 and it prints the error message to the telnet
stream. Standard JDBC driver does not recognise this problem and complains
about the wrong version of interclient.jar and interserver. This is quite
misleading.

> If will not have egcs installed. But there is a work around:
>
> patch makefile:
>

> #CC=                gcc
>
> #For linux
> LINUX_CC=gcc
> #             ------------- set this to gcc as your comiler
>
> CC=$(LINUX_CC)

Same on Debian.

> gcc -w -fhandle-exceptions -DUSE_INETD -DUNIX -DARCH_32
> -I/usr/interbase/include -c NetTCP.cpp -o NetTCP.o
> NetTCP.cpp: In function `static int NetTCP::netOpen(int, int *, int)':
> NetTCP.cpp:176: passing `int *' as argument 3 of `accept(int,
> sockaddr *, socklen_t *)' changes signedness
> make: *** [NetTCP.o] Error 1
>

> So you can patch the NetTCP.cpp file:
>
> again:
>   clilen = sizeof (tcpCliAddr);
>   //tmpSockfd = accept (sockfd, (struct sockaddr *)
> &tcpCliAddr,  &clilen);
>   tmpSockfd = accept (sockfd, (struct sockaddr *)
> &tcpCliAddr, (unsigned int *) &clilen);
>   //MW: cast to (unsigned int *) added to make it work with
> gcc ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same on Debian.

> 3.
>
> But may you have an getMetaData problem.
> A special interclient.jar should help. Thanks to David Jenks.
> I am not sure about his modifications to this driver.

On Debian I just recompiled the interclient classes. No changes were
neccessary.

All further steps on configuring the JBoss are the same.

Currently I'm installing the same configuration on the SPARC/Solaris 7
platform, and I use Firebird 0.9.4, I do need to recompile the interclient.
After finishing that things I will report the results.

Regards,
Roman