All,

First post, so apolgies if this is a repeated topic, i have checked the archives
without much luck so here's hoping its new.
I am experimenting using the JBossMQ implementation for a new project and am having
some serious performance
problems.  Our system will be receiving (bytes) messages on multiple queues (MQSeries
queues infact) and we will have a
de-queuing engine that persists these messages to an oracle database before
repackaging them as object messages
on a topic.  I don't believe this framework is anything unusual.  Our problem is
volume, we are expecting to receive near 500000
messages from various MQ-Series queues a day, which will be picked up and placed onto
the JBossMQ Topic, so i have
written a series of utilities to test how well the application service can cope with
such volumes.

Posting 10000 bytes messages to a JBossMQ Q has typically taken in the region of 1
minute, our engine can persist these and
post them onto a topic at a rate of around 1000 / minute which is acceptable.  However
once we add subscribers to the topic
we find that for performance drops by around 50%.  Posting the original 10000 messages
takes no longer, but the throughput for
posting to the topic and subsequently reading from the topic is now greatly reduced.

FYI, both the engine and the subscriber are using a messagelistener to "poll" for new
messages...

I have noticed the queue / topic dat files in the /db/jmsmq directory grow rapidly and
that the persistence is all file based, which
is where i think the depreciation of speed lies.  Am i right in assuming the queues
and topics write messages to the file
and then requests for these messages trawl the files for outstanding messages?  I know
it is possible to point commercial
JMS-MQ implementations at a database to use instead of a file-based persistence which
i assume would improve speed
greatly.  Can this be done with JBoss at present?  Am i missing something glaringly
obvious?  I really want to prove open-source
is the way forward for the app-server in this project so comments, help, support are
encouraged :)

Regards
Geoff

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender