>            From: beau tateyama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
>    From: beau tateyama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: JBoss/Jetty Integration
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about using jetty/jboss combination for a
> project i'm working on, but have a question about how
> much integration has been done with jboss and jetty.
>
> Both the JBoss and Jetty websites claim that both
> products run in the same VM.  This allows servlets to
> access EJBs without going to the "network layer",
> however I read this statement the 3rd party page and
> am confused:
>
> ------
> Jetty's xml file will not be optimized!
> Contexts setup with the jetty.xml file will be given
> their own classloaders which are not shared with
> JBoss, thus networks overhead will still incurred for
> EJB calls.
>
> http://www.jboss.org/business/jboss-jetty.html,
> "how-to package and deploy" section.
> ------
>
> Could someone explain this to me?

Beau,

Yes - this does look a little confusing.

I'll try to explain it simply.

As I understand it (and I'm no expert!): In order for a Servlet to talk
direct, intravm to an EJB, both Servlet and EJB must be loaded with the same
ClassLoader. This is achieved in JBoss by the J2EEDeployer. This takes an
EAR file, splits it and passes the EJB jar to the EJB container with a
ClassLoader and then the WAR to Jetty with the same ClassLoader. Deployment
through the J2EEDeployer is either hot-deploy - you drop you EAR into the
deploy directory, or via JMX - you send a request containing the URL of the
EAR direct to the J2EEDeployer.

Using Jetty's xml config file is neither of these, and has no way to
coordinate ClassLoaders with target EJBs, since they are not loaded from the
same place.

In conclusion:

Jetty supports optimised calls to EJBs (although there may be a bug in this
as we speak!), but you must deploy through the J2EEDeployer to make use of
this.

I hope that is clear - I should probably put it i the doc.

Jules