Hi,

We would like to test our J2EE app. on a JBoss-Tomcat platform. We have
a mixture of servlets and EJB's and I have used the deployment tool to
generate a jboss.xml file. When this is packaged in our ear file the
deployment seems to go ok and I can see the file being exploded and the
web context being created.

My problem is that I can't seem to access a database connection pool
from within the first servlet. We are using an Oracle 8i database with a
thin ( type 4) driver.

Note: We have sucessfully deployed this app to Orion, Weblogic & iPlanet
servers.

The relevant entries are

1) In jboss.jcml I have added

  <!-- JDBC -->
  <mbean code="org.jboss.jdbc.JdbcProvider"
name="DefaultDomain:service=JdbcProvider">
    <attribute name="Drivers">oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</attribute>
  </mbean>

  <mbean code="org.jboss.jdbc.XADataSourceLoader"
name="DefaultDomain:service=XADataSource,name=mcs">
   <attribute name="PoolName">jdbc/mcs_general</attribute>
   <attribute
name="DataSourceClass">org.opentools.minerva.jdbc.xa.wrapper.XADataSourceImpl</attribute>
   <attribute name="URL">jdbc:oracle:thin:@test:1521:test</attribute>
   <attribute name="JDBCUser">test</attribute>
   <attribute name="Password">test</attribute>
  </mbean>

2) Our web.xml has the following entry

   <resource-ref>
       <description>Data source</description>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/mcs_general</res-ref-name>
       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>

3) Finally out code is calling the connection like this

       try {
           if (lookupName != null) {
               if (jndiContext == null) {  // Double Check Locking
                   synchronized (lockObject) {
                       if (jndiContext == null) {
                           jndiContext = new InitialContext();
                       }
                   }
               }

               DataSource dataSource = (DataSource)
                                jndiContext.lookup("java:comp/env/"
                                          + lookupName);

   Note: In the above line the variable lookupName evaluates to
"jdbc/mcs_general"

I have used a debugger to try to compare the Context object returned by
JBoss and the object returned by an Orion server but it didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Ryan