Scott,
i've packaged my app into an ear as follows but still get the
"Authentication exception, principal=null" exception when my web component
tries to invoke a bean method. The web component is seeing the
users.properties and roles.properties files as it authenticates me according
to those files with no problems.

> 1. Show me the contents of your ejb jar file that you place
> into the deploy directory.

mandrake.jar:

com/blah/
com/blah/blah.class
META-INF/
META-INF/jboss.xml
META-INF/ejb-jar.xml
users.properties
roles.properties

> 2. Show me the contents of your soap war and tell me how it
> is deployed.

soap.war:

WEB-INF/classes/soap..          <- SOAP classes
WEB-INF/web.xml
WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml
WEB-INF/lib/
WEB-INF/lib/adapter.jar         <- my classes
WEB-INF/lib/utils.jar           <- my classes

Contents of the ear:

META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
META-INF/application.xml
mandrake.jar
soap.war
client.jar                              <- home and remote interfaces

When jboss starts, it deploys the ear, makes the ejb-ref JNDI links to the
beans and deploys the beans fine but i still get that exception...any ideas
on what would be causing that?