Are you sure you're not doing your create/remove loop in one transaction?
Remember, stateless session methods are Required by default.  So if you're
doing your create/remove loop within a stateless bean method, all the beans
you create/remove will not be released until the transaction commits at the
end of the stateless bean method.

Also, probably unrelated, we were experiencing JVM problems with Sun JDK
1.3.1 on RedHat 7.1.  A little bit of entity bean code would begin then end.
After a few seconds the memory usage for the JVM would mysteriously double
every couple of seconds until our machine was brought to a halt.  The
problem went away with JDK 1.3.00_3

Can you post the code?  I'd like to duplicate your problem on our boxes and
run it under JProbe.

Bill