|IMHO making Xid an interface is a _big_ mistake:
|It should have been a final class.

nuff said.

|There is _never_ more or less information in an
|Xid, or interoperability with OTS/JTS and X/Open
|DTP would be void.
|
|I don't know why Oracle made a version of their
|JDBC driver dependent on a particular Xid
|implementation, and I see absolutely _no_ reason
|why anyone would want to do that.

well, think about it... come on...

:)

right to break interoperability.

Oracle REALLY doesn't want a succesful EJB world because it means less
visibility of the DB tools.

It is still the future though.

|And I think that Oracle have learned an important
|lesson from their mistake: Unlike JBoss, one of
|the major J2EE vendors (I don't remember if it
|was IBM or BEA) said: "We do NOT want to support
|this; that driver will _never_ work in our
|application server".

well, you got it all reverse.  Oracle ****I*M*H*O**** is interested in
killing the EJB market, they have NO interest in seeing a BEA own the
middleware tool market, they want it and the best way is to make sure you
need to go with all their stuff to make it work.  Classic.

In fact (again imho) the recent Orion move is an effort to KILL the market
AFAP, god!!!! we were supposed to do that all by ourselves!!!! and now
Oracle is making sure they throw some oil on the fire... did you feel this
acceleration??

it's an ugly war, the webOS is at stake, BEA was getting fat and lazy (if
not arrogant), IBM, well IBM is IBM, SUN is a bunch of monkeys, ORACLE
want's to kill them all in DB middleware world... ***we***, you and me, will
still own this market if you believe.....

Don't loose focus on the "2-tier/3tier/ntier" middle age discussions going
on everywhere, this is the time, stay focused, the webOS with CMP is the way
of the future, stay low, when the monkeys are done jumping up and down we
will have the black monolyth.

love,

marcf

___________________________________
"We are the synchronizers,
we are electronics performers"
--JB Dunckel, AIR 10000hz legend--
___________________________________

|Best Regards,
|
|Ole Husgaard.
|

|marc fleury wrote:
|>
|> the unicity of the Xid is a good question although I suspect that
|> class+number is a unique combo, meaning that it falls on every
|xid provider
|> to guarantee the unicity within its class, but I don't know how
|db's drivers
|> deal with the Xid, meaning do they really look for class and
|number... think
|> of it it is probably the reason why Oracle wants to go solo and requires
|> their own Xid which really is piggy behavior...
|>
|> marcf

|> |
|> |
|> |Hi,
|> |My experience with jboss transaction management lead me to
|think that jboss
|> |starts its transactions just fine.  I also suspect that the line
|> |[MSADictionary] [TDS Driver]XA_CONNECTION_GET
|> |is jboss starting the xid.
|> |
|> |I recall some discussion that the Oracle xa driver requiredd use of the
|> |Oracle Xid class, rather than the jboss one.  There is a patch where the
|> |xid is created that under some circumstances uses the Oracle
|xid class for
|> |all jboss xids.  Perhaps you will need to use the Opta2000 xid class?
|> |
|> |One thing that has mystified me about the java xa "spec" is
|where the xid
|> |instances are supposed to come from.  It looks to me as if any
|XAResource
|> |is supposed to be able to accept any XId implementation. I
|would think that
|> |the transaction manager should be responsible for creating
|Xids, although I
|> |would kind of expect a factory method, and that it ought to be
|able to use
|> |any implementation of the interface it wants to. However the discussion
|> |about the Oracle drivers indicated that Oracle supplied their own xid
|> |implementation with their driver, and required its use.  I can't find a
|> |part of the spec that this violates, however it seems to guarantee that
|> |distributed transactions can only be used with resources from one
|> |vendor!!!!!  Maybe this is a spec defect.
|> |
|> |I have no actual experience with Oracle xa drivers or Opta2000
|drivers, but
|> |perhaps this would be worth investigating anyway.
|> |
|> |david jencks
|> |

|> |