Thanks for the response, Marc.

I have proceeded to the point where, with the default settings,
everything boots up until the InstantDB blocks on a pool call. At this
point, JBoss is frozen. The log tail looks like this:

[Hypersonic] Started
[InstantDB] Starting
[InstantDB] XA Connection pool InstantDB bound to java:/InstantDB
Enhydra InstantDB - Version 3.26
[InstantDB] The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Lutris
Technologies Inc.
Portions created by Lutris are Copyright (C) 1997-2001 Lutris
Technologies, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
[Hypersonic] Server 1.4 is running
[Hypersonic] Press [Ctrl]+[C] to abort
...frozen at this point

the traceback for the blocking call is:

    "main" (TID:0x403487e0, sys_thread_t:0x804fc10, state:CW, native
ID:0x400) prio=5
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:421)
        at
org.opentools.minerva.pool.ObjectPool.getObject(ObjectPool.java:577)
        at
org.opentools.minerva.pool.ObjectPool.getObject(ObjectPool.java:521)
        at
org.opentools.minerva.jdbc.xa.XAPoolDataSource.getConnection(XAPoolDataSource.java:165)
        at
org.jboss.jdbc.XADataSourceLoader.startService(XADataSourceLoader.java:330)
        at
org.jboss.util.ServiceMBeanSupport.start(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:93)
        at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
        at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
        at org.jboss.util.ServiceControl.start(ServiceControl.java:97)
        at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
        at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
        at Main.<init>(Main.java:225)
        at Main$1.run(Main.java:124)
        at Main.main(Main.java:120)
        at launch.start(launch.java:47)
        at launch.main(launch.java:15)

If I change Blocking=false in jboss.jcml then I get NPE's like this, but
the server continues to boot. However, JBoss seems non-functional at
this point as it does not recognize anything dropped into the deploy
directory:

[InstantDB] The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Lutris
Technologies Inc.
Portions created by Lutris are Copyright (C) 1997-2001 Lutris
Technologies, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
[InstantDB] Stopped
[InstantDB] java.lang.NullPointerException
[InstantDB]     at
org.opentools.minerva.jdbc.xa.XAPoolDataSource.getConnection(XAPoolDataSource.java:165)
[InstantDB]     at
org.jboss.jdbc.XADataSourceLoader.startService(XADataSourceLoader.java:330)
[InstantDB]     at
org.jboss.util.ServiceMBeanSupport.start(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:93)
[InstantDB]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[InstantDB]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
[InstantDB]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
[InstantDB]     at
org.jboss.util.ServiceControl.start(ServiceControl.java:97)
[InstantDB]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[InstantDB]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
[InstantDB]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
[InstantDB]     at Main.<init>(Main.java:225)
[InstantDB]     at Main$1.run(Main.java:124)
[InstantDB]     at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
[InstantDB]     at Main.main(Main.java:120)
[InstantDB]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[InstantDB]     at launch.start(launch.java:47)
[InstantDB]     at launch.main(launch.java:15)
[Service Control] Could not start
DefaultDomain:service=XADataSource,name=InstantDB
[Service Control] java.lang.NullPointerException
[Service Control]     at
org.opentools.minerva.jdbc.xa.XAPoolDataSource.getConnection(XAPoolDataSource.java:165)
[Service Control]     at
org.jboss.jdbc.XADataSourceLoader.startService(XADataSourceLoader.java:330)
[Service Control]     at
org.jboss.util.ServiceMBeanSupport.start(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:93)
[Service Control]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[Service Control]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
[Service Control]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
[Service Control]     at
org.jboss.util.ServiceControl.start(ServiceControl.java:97)
[Service Control]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[Service Control]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
[Service Control]     at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
[Service Control]     at Main.<init>(Main.java:225)
[Service Control]     at Main$1.run(Main.java:124)
[Service Control]     at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
[Service Control]     at Main.main(Main.java:120)
[Service Control]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
[Service Control]     at launch.start(launch.java:47)
[Service Control]     at launch.main(launch.java:15)
[DefaultDS] Starting

I'm not sure how to debug this further since I don't really know what's
going on. I saw what looked like a related post, but there were no