the 'tuned-updates' option in jaws.xml is pretty critical - it prevents
wasting time updating the database with data that hasn't changed.
You can also impliment an 'boolean isModified()' method on your entity
beans that returns false if nothing changed. This will allow JBoss to
bypass even checking to see if the values of CMP fields have changed.
'isModified' is jboss specific (I believe it will work in weblogic as well)

-danch