This is such a basic server-side threading construct, the difficulty in
implementing in EJB shows the immaturity of the standard (IMHO).

>From what I understand, however, they might try to get asynchronous EJB3 calls
>in the next iteration (3.1) of the spec.

In the meantime, if you don't mind doing something JBoss-specific, you could
look at asynchronous proxies:

http://docs.jboss.org/ejb3/app-server/tutorial/asynch/asynch.html

Another JBoss extension, Service POJOs, might also help do the trick:

http://docs.jboss.org/ejb3/app-server/tutorial/service/service.html

I think for what you are trying to do, you want a "worker" SFSB that implements
the long-running job. It will keep state internally, but it exposes getter
methods that allow clients to peek into the state. Then, you call it via
another "facade" SFSB via an asynchronous proxy. At least this way you protect
the end-client from calling JBoss specific code.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3922212#3922212

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3922212