Submit a bug to sourceforge with your example program.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Penhey, Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 4:32 AM
Subject: [JBoss-user] Problem with CMP Bean cache with different finder methods

> I searched the archives, but could not find any other messages which are
> experiencing the same problems that I am getting at the moment.
>
> We have a small project attempting to use Entity beans using CMP.
>
> Our home interface defines a few different finder methods.
>
> findByPrimaryKey and findByPersonPK(PersonPK)
>
> Here are the symptoms:
>
> Call findByPersonPK - this returns a collection of Entity Beans.  We iterate
> over these and dump the contents to our debug log.
>
> Call findByPrimaryKey to get a single Entity (that was also returned in our
> previous find), this returns a single Entity bean.
> We call a mutator function (change one of the persisted fields).
>
> Call findByPrimaryKey again and store in a different object (just 'cause I'm
> paranoid), and dump the output to the debug log.  The beans internals have
> changed as we expected.
>
> Check the database (which is using the default Hypersonic, out of the box
> one), and the field has changed.
>
> Call findByPersonPK - gets new collection into a different object than the
> first one (more paranoia), and dump the contents to our debug log.  The
> original value (before the change) is shown.  This is the same as the one
> showed in our last collection.  The database is then updated again (through
> the call of ejbStore) and it overwrites our change back to what it was
> before.
>
> When we run the program again, the first collection is now an accurate
> representation of the database (even though it is not what we wanted nor
> expected), but when we do the first findByPrimaryKey and dump that out, it
> shows the changed value not the database value.
>
> What I think is happening here is a conflict somewhere in the bean cache.
> The first finder that returns a collection creates one instance of our
> particular entity bean.  The next finder creates another instance of that
> entity bean.  We change the second one which then changes the database, and
> everything appears fine, then we call the first finder again, which returns
> its cached objects (which have the old value) and iterating through that
> collection causes the database to be changed.  However when we run our test
> application again all the cached entity beans are there but the two
> instances of the one row contain different data.
>
> Has anyone else come across this?  If so what did you do?  If not, is there
> anyone on the JBoss team that can confirm this behaviour?  What do I need to
> do to get it to work the way that I expect?
>
> Thanks
> Tim Penhey

> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
>designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  This communication is for information purposes only
and should not be regarded as an offer to sell
or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official
confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent
that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as
such.  All information is subject to change
without notice.