Hi, I'm hoping this is an easy fix, I think it has to do with Configuration,
but I can't find anything to answer the question.  I'm trying to set up a
simple servlet that dump text into the topic/testTopic topic that is configured
on JBoss 4.0.4RC1.  I've pretty much pulled the code out of Ch6 of the
documentation and adjusted it for Web App use.  See Source:

  |     public void setupPubSub() throws JMSException, NamingException
  |     {
  |             InitialContext iniCtx = new InitialContext();
  |             TopicConnectionFactory tcf =
(TopicConnectionFactory)iniCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/jms/ConnectionFactory");
  |             if (tcf == null)
  |                     System.out.println("tcf is null");
  |             else
  |                     System.out.println("tcf is NOT null");
  |
  |             conn = tcf.createTopicConnection();
  |             topic = (Topic) iniCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/jms/testTopic");
  |                 if (topic == null)
  |                     System.out.println("topic is null");
  |                 else
  |                     System.out.println("topic is NOT null");
  |             session = conn.createTopicSession(false,
  |                             TopicSession.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
  |             conn.start();
  |     }

A NullPointerException is thrown at:
conn = tcf.createTopicConnection();

The "if" block directly above it confirms that tcf is indeed null.  Originally
I had been having problems getting the naming correct through the
jboss-web.xml, and web.xml, however that all seems to be working now.  FYI:
the "topic" returned is not null, so I know that call works anyway.

It seems that I am getting the naming correct, but for some reason the object
returned by the lookup is null.  Help please.

web.xml (parts):

  |     <resource-ref>
  |             <description>
  |             Testing the reference info for a TopicConnection Factory
  |             </description>
  |             <res-ref-name>jms/ConnectionFactory</res-ref-name>
  |             <res-type>javax.jms.TopicConnectionFactory</res-type>
  |             <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  |     </resource-ref>
  |
  |     <resource-env-ref>
  |             <resource-env-ref-name>jms/testTopic</resource-env-ref-name>
  |             <resource-env-ref-type>javax.jms.Topic</resource-env-ref-type>
  |     </resource-env-ref>

jboss-web.xml:

  | <jboss-web>
  |     <!-- Jboss web XML file to set mapping for JMS to test topic -->
  |
  |     <resource-ref>
  |             <res-ref-name>jms/ConnectionFactory</res-ref-name>
  |             <res-type>javax.jms.TopicConnectionFactory</res-type>
  |             <jndi-name>java:ConnectionFactory</jndi-name>
  |     </resource-ref>
  |
  |     <resource-env-ref>
  |             <resource-env-ref-name>jms/testTopic</resource-env-ref-name>
  |             <jndi-name>java:topic/testTopic</jndi-name>
  |     </resource-env-ref>
  | </jboss-web>

Thanks,

Mark Loper