make sure you have jboss-client.jar, jnp-client.jar and jbosssx.jar in
your client classpath

-----Original Message-----
From: G.L. Grobe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [JBoss-user] CommunicationException from lookup()

Anyone have anyideas what causes this error.
javax.naming.CommunicationException: Can't find SerialContextProvider

It occurs when doing a TopicConnectionFactory lookup().

try {
ctx = new InitialContext();
}
catch (Exception e) {
}

try {
topicConnectionFactory = (TopicConnectionFactory)
ctx.lookup("TopicConnectionFactory");
}

In my ~/conf/tomcat/jndi.properties file I have:
---
java.naming.factory.initial=org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory
java.naming.provider.url=localhost:1099
java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces
# Do NOT uncomment this line as it causes in VM calls to go over
# RMI!
#java.naming.provider.url=localhost

Any help much appreciated!