Deployment dir is hard-coded. However, I'd bet it would be easy to
override the standard deployer. Grab the jboss source, make a class
MyDeployer that extends J2eeDeployer, reimplement the base class
initService() to preferentially pick up the deploy dir from an envvar,
make a trivial MyDeployerMBean like J2eeDeployerMBean, place the
MyDeployer classes in a jar in lib/ext, change jboss.jcml entry:

<mbean code="org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer" ...

<mbean code="my.pkg.MyDeployer" ...

and let the magical jboss service architecture do the rest. Caveat is
that deployment is usually the private purview of the container; it's
probably bad form to build external dependencies on deployment location.

Classpath can be configured by changing the ClassPathExtension entries
in jboss.conf.

Above is true jboss 2.2 - 2.4. It looks like it will change a bit for
3.0.

Fred Loney
Spirited Software, Inc.
www.spiritedsw.com