@PeterJ:
Executing your code leads to the following:
anonymous wrote : javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jboss.jmx.adaptor.rmi.RMIAdaptor (no
security manager: RMI class loader disabled)]
  |     at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:728)
  |     at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:587)
  |     at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
  |     at trail.SE.client.Client.main(Client.java:37)
  | Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.jboss.jmx.adaptor.rmi.RMIAdaptor (no security manager: RMI class loader
disabled)
  |     at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadProxyClass(LoaderHandler.java:531)
  |     at
java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader$2.loadProxyClass(RMIClassLoader.java:628)
  |     at
java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader.loadProxyClass(RMIClassLoader.java:294)
  |     at
sun.rmi.server.MarshalInputStream.resolveProxyClass(MarshalInputStream.java:238)
  |     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1494)
  |     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1457)
  |     at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1693)
  |     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1299)
  |     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:339)
  |     at java.rmi.MarshalledObject.get(MarshalledObject.java:135)
  |     at
org.jnp.interfaces.MarshalledValuePair.get(MarshalledValuePair.java:72)
  |     at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:652)
  |     ... 3 more

any ideas on how i could activate the security manager?

anonymous wrote :  It seems he's trying to locate the local mbeanserver, which
doesn't exist.
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure what exactly I should be trying to connect
to. At the end of the day I want my client to be able to connect to a server
running on a different machine, currently my JBoss Server runs on the same
machine but in a different vm. The weird thing is SessionBeans in the client
work immediately (looking them up via the InitialContext)

Is there a difference in the client code between connecting on a local machine
and to a remote machine?

thx for your help

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3952286#3952286