Thanks Jim.

This helps a lot - it confirms what I understood, but thought that I didn't and
you provided me with a critical bit of information (SelectOneMenu doesn't
actually set a selection on the SelectItems).

I thought I was 'missing a trick' - the first approach seems sufficient for
most purposes. My only concern here is that it introduces 'binding and
conversion' code into my action - which doesn't feel like business logic.

 I can give the second approach a go this weekend also - I think that it will
work and it gives me a chance to learn more about annotations.

I do wonder if there is a third attack on this problem, which is a not
annotation based at all. A JSF component - essentially a UIDataModel based
component that renders an HTML Select and sets the selected state on the
appropriate item. It would be a single action element (tag) that takes
DataModel EL expression and another EL expression that resolves the Label. It
could do more than this (multi value binding ?). Maybe this is another item for
my weekend.

This may obviate the need for @SelectItems and @SelectItemsSelection - allowing
@DataModel and @DataModelSelection to work.

Thanks again,