I teaked it a bit to make it a SFSB and pull a list of objects.  For anyone
else that tries this do not put valueMethod="???" if you change the value
stragety to valueStrategy = SelectItems.Strategy.OBJECT.

I thought for sure I needed this, but errors occur after you add the converter.
 It kept returning the label value to the converter and chocking in my public
String getAsString(FacesContext ctx, UIComponent component, Object value)
method since I am looking it up by the id in the converter.

I haven't fully tested this out, but so far it really rocks.  More people
should post their stuff to the wiki like Jim did.

All I need now is a way to have my entites convert themselves so I do not have
to go to the trouble of making one for every type.

Is anyone close to or have a solution for this?

  | @Name("selector")
  | @Stateful
  | @Scope(ScopeType.EVENT)
  | @Interceptors(SeamInterceptor.class)
  | public class SelectorAction implements Selector, Serializable
  | {
  |   private static final long serialVersionUID = 1691282596699470676L;
  |
  |   @Logger Log log;
  |   @PersistenceContext EntityManager em;
  |
  |   private Grade selected;
  |   public Grade getSelected() { return selected; }
  |   public void setSelected(Grade selected) { this.selected = selected; }
  |
  |   @SelectItems(valueStrategy = SelectItems.Strategy.OBJECT, labelMethod =
"getGrade)
  |   public List items;
  |
  |   @Factory("items")
  |   public List getItems()
  |   {
  |     items = em.createQuery("from Grade").getResultList();
  |     return items;
  |   }
  |
  |   public void select()
  |   {
  |     log.info("You selected: " + selected.getGrade());
  |   }
  |
  |   @Remove @Destroy
  |   public void destroy() { }
  | }