For those interested, the missing piece that I could not deduce from the
documentation, was the need for an annotation in my MDB class.  Specifically:
@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "providerAdapterJNDI",
propertyValue="java:/WSMQJMSProvider")

The annotation references the following which I stuck in the jms-ds.xml file:
        <!-- non XA provider loader and connection factory -->
  |     <mbean code="org.jboss.jms.jndi.JMSProviderLoader"
name="jboss.mq:service=JMSProviderLoader,name=WSMQJMSProvider">
  |             <attribute name="ProviderName">WSMQJMSProvider</attribute>
  |             <attribute
name="ProviderAdapterClass">org.jboss.jms.jndi.JNDIProviderAdapter</attribute>
  |             <!-- The queue connection factory -->
  |             <attribute
name="QueueFactoryRef">WSMQQueueConnectionFactory</attribute>
  |             <!-- The topic factory -->
  |             <attribute
name="TopicFactoryRef">WSMQTopicConnectionFactory</attribute>
  |     </mbean>
  |     <no-tx-connection-factory>
  |             <jndi-name>WSMQJms</jndi-name>
  |             <adapter-display-name>JMS Adapter</adapter-display-name>
  |             <!-- JCA 1.0 Comment out for JBoss 3.2.x / Remove it for JBoss
4.x -->
  |             <!-- <rar-name>jms-ra.rar</rar-name> -->
  |             <!-- JCA 1.5 Comment out for JBoss 4.x / Remove it for JBoss
3.2.x -->

<connection-definition>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jms.JmsConnectionFactory</connection-definition>
  |             <config-property name="SessionDefaultType"
type="java.lang.String">javax.jms.Topic</config-property>
  |             <config-property name="JmsProviderAdapterJNDI"
type="java.lang.String">java:/WSMQJMSProvider</config-property>
  |             <max-pool-size>20</max-pool-size>
  |             <!--
<security-domain-and-application>JmsXARealm</security-domain-and-application>
-->
  |     </no-tx-connection-factory>

Regards,
    Jim