I'm going to try to be more specific.
I have a session bean defined in a jar file that's packaged with a war file
into an ear. The session bean is declared in its ejb-jar.xml as follows:

  |   <session>
  |     <display-name>The Shopping Client Controller</display-name>
  |       <ejb-name>TheShoppingClientController</ejb-name>
  |       <home>com.control.ejb.ShoppingClientControllerHome</home>
  |       <remote>com.control.ejb.ShoppingClientController</remote>
  |       <ejb-class>com.control.ejb.ShoppingClientControllerEJB</ejb-class>
  |       <session-type>Stateful</session-type>
  |       <transaction-type>Container</transaction-type>
  |       .
  |       .
  |   </session>

The jboss.xml file contains the following:

  |   <session>
  |     <ejb-name>TheShoppingClientController</ejb-name>
  |     <jndi-name>foo/scc</jndi-name>
  |     .
  |     .
  |   </session>

The web.xml contains the following:

  |   <ejb-ref>
  |     <ejb-ref-name>ejb/scc/Scc</ejb-ref-name>
  |     <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
  |     <home>com.control.ejb.ShoppingClientControllerHome</home>
  |     <remote>com.control.ejb.ShoppingClientController</remote>
  |   </ejb-ref>

The jboss-web.xml contains the following:
  <ejb-ref>
    <ejb-ref-name>ejb/scc/Scc</ejb-ref-name>
    <jndi-name>foo/scc</jndi-name>
  </ejb-ref>

In the web-tier the code does this:

  |   public static ShoppingClientControllerHome getSCCHome()
  |       throws javax.naming.NamingException {
  |     InitialContext initial = new InitialContext();
  |     Object objref = initial.lookup("java:comp/env/ejb/scc/Scc");
  |     return (ShoppingClientControllerHome)
  |         PortableRemoteObject.narrow(objref,
  |         ShoppingClientControllerHome.class);
  |   }