Alrighty, time to swallow some pride.  I've been working in a portlet
environment for some time now, using the Jetspeed 1.x portlet container.  I'm
attempting to make the switch from Jetspeed to JPortal to make things easier
for our AS managers, but making the coding switch from Jetspeed to JPortal is
proving to be more...complex than origionally thought.  Basically, what I'm
looking for is a "how to" for JPortal insomuch as the portal to portlet
building is concerned.

I've refreshed myself with the Portlet specification, and in doing so realized
that JPortal is more closely tied to the specification than Jetspeed was
(missing quite a few layers of middleware [Torque/Turbine]).  If I can be
pointed to a general implementation doc and save people the trouble of doing a
point-by-piont, it would be appreciated.  I've hammered the docs and the
examples, but yet I cannot get a grip on how JPortal would implement something
as Jetspeed does:

1.  I'd like to use JSP's to create the portlets, but I cannot find a mechanism
for binding a JSP to a portlet class.  The examples only show two ways that
I've found--directly building the page in a writer on the reponse object, or
referencing a JSP directly in the doView through the requestDispatcher.  Is
there a way in JPortal to directly map a JSP to a class as there is in Jetspeed
with the MyPortlet.xreg (register and binds all Action classes to JSP's).

2.  Jetspeed relied heavily on the request and session parameters comming from
the portlet/portal.  The methods of the JBossPortlet do make use of request
variables that have attributes.  Does JPortal use the request variable to pass
parameters BACK to the JSP for building the page?  For example, if I have a
portlet that I want to display (for the sake of argument) a list of all the
records in a table.  I'd have the doView() method call a back end hibernate
method to query the database and return a list of records.  I would then set a
request variable, giving it the value of the returned list, and then on the JSP
use a <c:forEach> tag to print out the values as specified by the Value Object
of that class.  Can this same methodology be applied to a JPortal portlet?  Can
I use request variables of lists from the database to build a JSP?

3.  When processing an action from the portlet, be it from a hyperlink or a
button, how do I get the Action class to execute a specific method?  In
jetspeed, if I wanted a "doSomeaction()" method to be executed in the Action
class bound to the JSP, I'd have to give the name of the button (or hidden
parameter) a name like "eventSubmit_doSomeaction", and that method would be
executed on form submission/button click.  How can I get JPortal to execute a
specific method inside the Action class without having to parse through the
expected parameters from the portlet inside the processAction class (if at all)?

I apologize for the lengthy questions and examples, but I really need to get a
better grasp on how JPortal functions and get my mind off of Jetspeed and
around a much better solution.  Thanks in advance for any help and direction.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3956740#3956740

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3956740