Nicolai P Guba wrote :

>> On Friday 15 Feb 2002 2:47 pm, David Ward wrote:
>>
>> 2) Take a look at the Reflection Performance improvements graph here:
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/performance.guide.html
>> Again not sure, but this looks like it could really help JBoss
>> performance with the Proxy layer to the EJBs.
>
> Probably not very much, unless deploy-time becomes of an issue.  I cannot
> imagine any run-time features that would require relfection.  Or?

Think it depends what you mean by reflection.  If you are referring to the
process of getting Method and constructor objects the I agree, but this
seems to refer to the actual invoke method.

This article that the invoke method is 20 (twenty) times faster in 1.4 than
1.3.1.

There must be at least two invocations on any EJB call (Proxy and
Container), and that would, in the past, have added a much larger overhead
than a straight method call.

Looking at the rest of the article, the claims it makes are quite impressive
(and if realistic, would make a significant difference to JBoss performance,
IMHO).
They are (over 1.3.1):
Servlets: +35%
EJBs: +34%
SPECjbb2000: +58%

Anyone fancy trying some figures for JBoss?

    david

PS:  Spent 10 mins looking for the performance article, and only realised
(after finding it) that the URL was in the quoted post.  Typical!