I agree, but this is why
I told about the need to
obfuscate the whole code to protect the
CA certificate and the code around...

and why I've said it was probably useless overkill,
since it is very hard to avoid code to be
read , and to protect data that are
used internally in the virtual or real machine.
morever even if the code and data are really protected,
the environment around can fake the fact to
be the good machine... at the price of horrible hack
in the engine (change the gethostname and alike)...

in fact the need is only to protect from
easy attacks (copy and drop),
since  hard attacks are never put
"in production" in serious corp
which  can pay the product...

and since the problem for commercial
software vendors is to make people who can pay, to
pay, there are no advantage to restrict software usage
for people who will never pay.

but it is a philosophical and sociologic problem...

technically the problem is:
what level of competence is needed to hack my protection?

with a simple system of site certicicate
and embedded CA, a good developer with a disassembler is enough...

if the certificate and the code are obfuscated,
either you need some one able to change the
appserver internals, and by the way find what to fake,
if the parameters used cannot be faked, someone
able to hack th JAVA VM could do the job.

This risks may be important to analyse for
financial transaction security, privacy protection,
or secrecy, but not just for
software licensing.