If the wrapper is driver specific we could implement autonumber fields very
easily, with one specific implementation per vendor.
I don't know when a MySql JDBC 3.0 driver will be available. JDBC has a
common way to obtain the value of a autonumer field, after insertion.
Since JDBC 3.0 drivers (specifically for MySql, maybe for other databses
too) are not ready yet, we could use the wrapper to access vendor specific
funcionality.

This could help a lot of people having trouble with object ID generation...
And also people working with existing databases, with autonumber primary
keys.

What do you think?

Ricardo Arguello