Dan the answer man.

> Your pool shouldn't be a problem (unless you have a lot of users all
> trying to do this at the same time).
Umm, yes, I may have a lot of users at one time.  It happens when users try
and look at thier order history on the website.  I have no control over how
many of them will do this at the same time.  However, I see the issue as with
only one user who has a lot of history.

> Are you calling the finder from a session bean, or directly from UI? If
> directly from the UI, step one is going to be to change that so that the
> finder gets called from a session bean which passes back some sort of
> value objects to the UI. Accessing entities from the UI is bound to
> hurt, because each call will be its own transaction.
A session bean calls the finder, then calls a method on each entity bean to
get a serializable object representing the bean data needed, and returns an
array to the servlet code.

> For CMP, once you're calling from a session bean, look at the read-ahead
> element in jaws.xml (CMP1.1) or jbosscmp-jdbc.xml (CMP2.0). This should
> help tremendously.
Using CMP2.0 with default settings:
strategy: on-load
page-size: 1000
eager-load-group: *

What I also find interesting is I get the following messages in the log in
the minutes following a re-deploy of my beans:

DEBUG [org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LRUEnterpriseContextCachePolicy] Resized cache
for bean FooBean: old capacity = 1000000, new capacity = 50

I don't know where it gets 50 or if it has anything to do with my issue.