On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:48:48PM -0500, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> >I'm starting to suspect that JBoss might be the culprit here. If I
> >manually extract an object from the byte array, it turns out to be a
> >java.rmi.MarshalledObject when the expected class was java.lang.String.
> >
> >Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm using CMP 2, if that helps.
>
> JBossCMP stores objects in serialized form using a MarshalledObject.  I
> copied this code from JAWS, so I am not sure of the reasons.  I think it
> has something to do with portability of stored objects, but the real
> reason is it works.

Agreed, storing Objects as MarshalledObjects is the Right Way to store
things into the database so that they can be recovered, but that
doesn't explain why when I store an Object via CMP, a byte array is
returned on subsequent get()s. I can convert the byte array into an
ObjectInputStream, pull out the MarshalledObject and then do a get()
on that to restore the object, but that shouldn't be necessary.

For an interface like this:

public void setObject( String key, Object value );
public Object getObject( key );

and then attempt to use it:

SomeEJB.setObject( "key", new URL( "http://www.foo.com"; ) );
URL url = (URL) SomeEJB.getObject( "key" );

I should _not_ be getting a ClassCastException (from memory: this
happened last night, and I've kludged a work-around using Strings)
when I call get(), but that's exactly what happens!

I can extract the necessary bits from my code and send it to you as a
simple test case if that would help....

Regards,

Simon

--
Bitter, unsuccessful middle aged loser wallowing in an unending sea of
inert, drooping loneliness looking for 24 year old needy leech-like