> It can't be turned off.  In the future we may make it possible to have
> several loader repositories with a parent-child relationship
> which would
> let you have several versions of a class at once.  However it
> is not yet
> clear this is cost-effective compared to running several
> jboss instances.
>
> The point of having the unified classloaders is that you can
> redeploy parts
> of your application without taking down the server, and still
> all calls are
> optimized.  For instance, this lets you split very large
> applications into
> many ears that can be deployed independently yet have optimized calls
> between ejbs in different ears.  You can remove and redeploy
> any of the
> ears with different classes without stopping the server.
>
> Why would you want to have several versions of a class
> deployed at once?
> Is this a real use case?

Certainly.  What if I have two versions of [a part of] my website up, both
accessible via port 80, but accessed via different context roots?

Perhaps it's my perception of what an application server is.  I've always
thought of an application server as a relatively heavyweight object that is
capable of hosting multiple applications.  From what I'm hearing, this means
JBoss3 essentially becomes a wrapper for a single application, because in
the general case you don't know or care if two different applications have
different versions of the same classname.

I've also always thought of an .ear as a completely standalone entity.
Though I've never used them, it was my perception that the purpose of a .sar
was to partition classes within an .ear into hotdeployable units.  Again,
I've never looked much into them, and I'm still using 2.4.4.

Unless the port configuration / port allocation is totally different in
JBoss3, I would envision configuring and running multiple JBoss instances on
the same machine to be somewhat cumbersome and error prone.

Anyhow, I've just always thought of two ear's as always being siblings in
the classloader tree.  It seems relatively natural to envision two
[trivially] different implementations of ${whatever is the container for the
ear}, one that allows visibility between all ear's deployed in the directory
configured for that container, and another that places each ear in its own
namespace.

Either way, JBoss is still the best thing since sliced bread.

Paul