We're using SuSE linux now but before, when we had red-hat, I remember
it was extermely important to install the jvm via rpm from sun.  You can
download a tar.gz jvm or you can get the red-hat rpm.  If we used the
tar.gz version it failed miserably all the time.  When we installed
their rpm things worked.

Hope this helps.

ps. SuSE is way better than RedHat :-)
-Dennis