Connection refused is either:  you don't have anything listening on the
port, or the port is firewalled somehow.

try doing 'netstat -a | grep <portnumber>' and see if there is an open
socket on that port.  If there is, then jboss (or something) is listening.

if not, then you have to figure out why there is nothing listening when
there should be.

do you see any exceptions scroll by as jboss starts up?

gary.